Critical Issues Facing ALTA
The overarching objective of ALTA is to build a strong organization which meets the needs of all its members. ALTA purpots to do this by engaging in the following activities.
- Developing standards for African language instruction.
- Development of language teaching materials that are in tandem with current practices of language teaching.
- Disseminate quality African language instructional materials in the USA.
- Provide guidelines for teacher training and in service training.
- Facilitate collaborative ventures among African language teaching professionals.
- Promote research in African language teaching/learning and second language acquisition.
- Offer guidelines on language program building and administration.
- Promote linkages with colleagues at African institutions working on & teaching African languages.
- Support the summer intensive African language institutes (SCALI).
- Coordinate and facilitate efforts involving Study Abroad programs geared towards African languages.
ALTA carries out its mission through the Executive Board and Committees working under specific Language Working Groups . Language Working groups are formed to carry out specific duties to meet target needs of a language, language group or areally related languages. The following is a list of current Language Working Groups and their heads.
Language Working Groups